Sheria Ngowi - Tanzania’s Fashion Gentleman



Sheria Ngowi is one of the leading designers in Tanzania and the best amongst the African designers – and he’s a talented designer. He is the fashion Guru when it comes to designing classic suits. Sheria really is the gentleman of fashion, his clothing line has only been operating for over 6 years since 2008, but it’s clear that his pieces has been one of the most respected names in men's custom tailored clothing, identified with superior fabrics, strong colors , meticulous hand tailoring, and quality that is becoming harder and harder to find these days.

"Our Dream at Sheria Ngowi Brand is to dress all men of 'stature' first in our continent #Africa in our World Class -Tailor made Suits". Said Sheria




Bongo Today had an interview with Sheria Ngowi, catch up with the whole interview below;-

BT: Tell us about yourself and When did you first start designing?

SN: - Sheria Ngowi (Born as Walter Thomas Ngowi on October 1st, 1982). I am a Tanzanian fashion designer and Founder (Sheria Ngowi Brand.

-My career famously began in 2008 when I debuted my designs for both women and men under Brand name Sheria Na Mavazi in Mysore, India. So Sheria Na Mavazi stands for Dressing Principles or Regulations. In 2009, I launched my first professional collection under my own name Sheria Ngowi Designs. The Collection was a dedication to my late father who was the driving force behind my love for fashion.

BT: Who or what inspired you to become a designer? Was it always something you always knew you would do?

SN: - So many sources but it primarily comes from my late Father who was an incredibly stylish man and because he used to love fashion and sense of style which inspired me a lot. I get my inspiration also from a lot of things. It often evolves out of seeing a single button or fabric or trimming which triggers an idea for a design. I never spend a lot of time stressing about what sort of “theme” one of my collections is going to have. The ideas are always there and ready to flow when I start sketching. 

-But my favorite and most inspirational period in my designs career is from the early twentieth century – 1900 up to about 1970. It was such a pivotal time in all the arts from painting to architecture. Illustration, photography and film were all breaking new ground. It was a period when artists and designers were concerning themselves with and influencing all aspects of daily life, from interior decorating to fashion – there were some fascinating, adventurous characters around and I love that period.

-Yes I Knew it, before I came back to start the fashion business, I was studying law in India. But I never practiced Law. I have always loved to be involved in the fashion industry but my dad wanted me to study law. You know there is this thing about most of our African parents. My dad wanted me to go into fashion, but after my law studies.

BT: - Who are your favorite designers and why?

SN: - Tom Ford, simply because he is solely responsible for the turnaround of one of the most stylish brands there is out there, Gucci. Other designers who deserve mention are Ozwald Boateng, Ralph Lauren,Paul Smith.

BT: - You have been involved with a lot of cool designs. What was one of your favorite projects to work on so far and why?

SN: - I can say all of them, however someone once said, “Practice makes perfect“. While that statement might not be completely true, I do believe that practice makes you better. If you're a designer, you should be designing things. But sometimes it can get very easy to get hung up in the minutia of work and life. And the best way to improve designs is to do the designs. It’s like Actors rehearse their lines until they learn them perfectly. Musicians practice their songs until every note is just right. Athletes practice their particular sport so they can excel. Ask any successful designer in the community about how they have succeeded and they will attribute much of their success to practice.

BT: What are your plans for the future?

SN: - By next year 2014 to launch my factory production unit in Tanzania, which will supply our products to all our upcoming flagship stores from Johannesburg, Nairobi, Kinshasa and Lagos.These because there is no African Brand that can compare with the likes of Ralph Lauren, Giorgio Armani, Tom Ford and Ozwald Boateng who are at the helm of the largest luxury brands of the world. 

My aim is to at least spark interest and growth in the fashion industry in Tanzania and Africa as a whole and challenge these fashion superpowers because we have talent, all that we need is exposure and investment in the right areas. 

It will take us a lot of hard work and dedication to accomplish all this but I believe everything is possible when you have the right plan. Before 10 years Sheria Ngowi brand will be one of largest luxury brand in the world.

BT: What is your advice to other aspiring designers that would also love to have a successful career in this business?

SN: - They should go deep inside themselves and find what they really love to do. If you do things from your heart you can make things happen. You can change the world because you have the power and the power comes from within you. 

They say that if you work hard everything is possible.

Bongo Today, Asanteni Sana!
Sheria Ngowi.


More pictures from Sheria Designs







For More Details about Sheria Ngowi you can contact him via social networks: -  Facebook and Twitter or visit his websites Sheriangowi and 
Sheriangowibrand